Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Idol Top 6 Wrapup

I thought last night’s show was actually really good. Bon Jovi was an excellent guest, and he helped a few people really play to their strengths even though they really differentiated away from what would be considered “Bon Jovi’s sound”. Amazing that Bon Jovi, an 80‘s hair metal band to begin with, has enough songs that Idol can plan a week around them and have it turn out good and good in various styles.

Phil – Blaze of Glory: Not bad at all, but at this point I really feel Phil is a very good also-ran. I’m still not sure what Phil’s niche is. Still may be in trouble.
Jordin – Living on a Prayer: Haha, total mess. Karaoke type shout along! Looked a mess. If they weren’t netting votes, might actually have problems.
Lakisha – This Ain’t a Love Song: Similar to what Melinda did (see below) she sang a more niche song from Bon Jovi, however she RIPPED this song to threads. Probably her second best performance. Simon (literally) gave her a kiss for it. Plus she spoke this week! Looked happy! Really great.
Blake – You Give Love a Bad Name: Quite possibly the most original idol performance ever. He did everything but sing the song as it was written for the first 90 seconds or so, and then, he blasted through the chorus as he needed to do (you can’t sing this song without shouting along to the chorus!) Very risky but I thought I worked real well. Judges agreed!
Chris – Wanted Dead or Alive: He wasn’t bad but he’s clearly not close to the top. If he goes, it won’t bother me at all. Nowhere near Daughtry’s take on this last year.
Melinda – Have a Nice Day: I liked it but not really a blow away performance. I always think it’s a mistake when there’s a famous guest to take a song that’s not so well known. She’s so good it doesn’t matter, but not what you’ll remember the next day to be honest.

I thought Chris, Phil and Lakisha were weak going in. Lakisha was really strong though, so I’m having second thoughts on that. It really depends on the voting from the prior week and how many votes were cast tonight. If tonight’s votes are less than half of last week, it could not be enough to pull out a contestant that was weak last week. There’s really no way to tell.

There will be Munchkins today in honor of tonight’s eliminations (in plural!) since I may not be in tomorrow. From now on we will have elimination munchkins (I need to stop by for the Jefferies people!) and the last week hopefully donuts donated by a gracious winner (hint hint!). For next week the file will be set up to run scenarios on winners and such, and I will run down the remaining Top 4 and any odds source / trend I can find.

No comments: