Tuesday, April 10, 2007

04/10 Top 8 on now -- Play by play

(Juan is currently entertaining guests so he'll catch up later...)

So, "Jenny from the block" was not bad in her coaching, at least with getting the top 8 to move and get the beat right. We were commenting at work as to what kind of voice coaching she would give. She liked Sanjaya...ewww.

I liked...
Lakisha's energy. A little surprised that she had to try a bit to get the right beat. Paula's comment for her seemed to come from left field (only because she typically reiterates what Randy says), but I thought Lakisha did step outside of her comfort zone looking back to the practice and did her best to capture a "Latin essence." Cringing during Phil's practice, but I really liked his voice on this awesome song. Liked Blake again...can carry a tune AND perform.

Not crazy about...
Chris, Haley, Jordin. Chris chose an awesome song (wouldn't consider it "Latin" though) and much to live up to (hello, Santana and Rob Thomas), but just didn't cut it. Haley is most definitely going home...bad singing, no boobage dress, SEE YA! I was confused and tired watching her trying to keep up. Even Simon said her singing doesn't work so "wear as little clothes as possible." Ouch! Not enough spirit from Jordin, but still like her. I expected Sanjaya in some flamboyant getup, but instead his attempt at sounding/looking sexy/sultry was lame and creepy.

I only caught the recap of Melinda and was worried when Randy and Simon didn't have much to say about her earlier, but I liked it. I actually paid more attention to her hair - very pretty tonight! And the best overall look thus far -- only mention that cuz fellow fan WLS has some issues with her looks...lol! Overall, the show was not as disastrous as some anticipated, but someone REALLY needs to bring the house down!

- SN

3 comments:

Idol NY said...

Strange show for me, didn't tape so I watched it 1 performance at a time on youtube, so maybe the flow was different for me...overall the show lacked energy at times, too many people try to skirt the genre or the spirit of the genre, and we get these bland shows... (I also missed a lot of the wisdom of J-LO, OH NO!)

Melinda: The problem with Melinda (if anything) is she seems not to have a second gear. Her first gear is maybe, 8 out of 10, but we haven't had a 9 or 10 since we got out of Top 12. I want her "Summertime" and I almost think whoever has that first this year will win. I liked it, if a bit mellow...

Phil: Nice performance, but he's very bland. zzzzzzzz. Again, Latin night, smooth, no energy. If you notice something about the people who place high on idol, they have a defining genre. So far Phil's genre seems to be songs Phil likes. I'd like him to stay but wouldn't be shocked if he goes.

Haley: Um, need to disagree with above post, extremely short skirt qualifies as T&A. Other than that, a mess. I didn't like it as all. The only credit I'll give her is she tried a uptempo song. Other than that, ick! and if i could send someone home, her.

Chris: Picked a great song that totally skirted the genre, and really sucked at it. Yuck...N'Sync attempting Santana...he sang like this annuncing every word

Blake: Best performance by far. I thought at first he'd skirt throught it, but really captured the essence of the song. J-Lo must have been beeming at him singing her hubbies song. Can't wait to hear studio verson.

Lakisha: Ahh...Conga. I liked it, i thought it had good energy. See Melinda above, Lakisha is so good where is the blow away performance? Your first performance cannot be your best.

Jordin: I didn't like her that much for what seems like the third week in a row. I'm not sure how big her fanbase is but we may find out soon if she keeps being so bland.

Note: We have three big voices, Jordin, Melinda and Lakisha. Last time we had that, we lost one early on cause we didn't have enough votes to support all three. That may happen again. Is it fair, no? But the fact is Sanjaya and Melinda don't share fans, but Lakisha and Melinda might.

AND

Sanjaya: He didn't suck. It was strange, but he sang ok, and he wasn't the worst on the show. (Haley and Chris took those honors.) I think that's a real problem, people will complain why he's still here, but I don't think he deserves to go home this week. Ugh...

If life is fair, we lose Haley. I could see Phil going (i just don't think he's popular enough) and if a Diva is bottom three, I would not be shocked.

Idol NY said...

Hmmm...it didn't catch my Chris pauses. Basically, at the beginnig he was singing SLOW, WORD by WORD and it was annoying. He wasn't behind the music, just off tempo. Rob Thomas just waking up or something...

Anonymous said...

Found Melinda's performance on Youtube...loved it! Simon's comments were so unwarranted; negative comments just for the sake of? duh. It wasn't too old for her; it's a classic tune that only someone of her sophistication and caliber can pull off.

And only now caught up with Chris R's "Geek in the Pink" from way back when. I'd say it's his best performance so far and perfectly suited for him.

OK, results show is now on. Get packin' Haley! Even though Sanjaya should go!